To the Schoolhouse
This old schoolhouse was built in 1884 by George W. Call, the wealthy rancher and businessman whose family made their home on the Fort Ross property from 1874 until the 1920s. It continued to be used as a school building for many years even after being relocated, and it now sits in the North Meadow at Stillwater Cove Regional Park.
Fort Ross School began in a two room building in back of the George Call family home at today’s Fort Ross State Historic Park. For a time the Call family employed a governess but the family grew and neighbor children were ready to enter school. Mr. George Call deeded an acre of land to the state as a spot to build on, a neighbor provided the lumber, and the school was built. The building stood on the bluff, across from what now is the picnic area — Fort Ross Elementary website
You can find more photos and information about Stillwater Cove Regional Park on the Hiking Trailhead website.